Timespan: 01/07/2018 - 31/12/2022
TECLA (Lead partner) – ISPRA (Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e Ricerca Ambientale) – Università degli Studi di Milano – Hellenic Ornithological Society (GR)
Falkon at a glance: (invece di “short description)
The LIFE FALKON project focuses on biodiversity and conservation of the Lesser Kestrel, a falcon species. The Lesser Kestrel, which is conservation priority in the European area, is a diurnal bird of prey, whose populations are concentrated in the Mediterranean area. The project provides conservation actions aimed at strengthening the populations located at the north-eastern edge. These conservation actions will therefore contribute to the northward expansion of the Lesser Kestrel falcon.
The project aims at:
- Fostering the resilience of the central-eastern European population to climate change, improving the conservation status of Italian and Greek populations breeding at the north-eastern margin of breeding distribution range;
- Improving foraging and nesting habitat quality in intensive farmland areas and SPAs where the species breeds in the project areas;
- Establishing a collaborative international network;
- Promoting public awareness concerning the lesser kestrel and biodiversity conservation, with emphasis on environmental education;
- Obtaining an accurate assessment of the conservation status of those populations crucial for the northward breeding expansion.
General actions of the project:
- Providing nestboxes and nesting towers to foster the settlement of lesser kestrel breeding colonies within the context of population reinforcement programs;
- Implementing communication actions addressed to key stakeholders (architects, geometricians, farmers) and decision makers;
- Sharing experiences with conservation experts and beneficiaries of previous LIFE projects targeting lesser kestrel;
- Organising public awareness campaign;
- Setting up standardized monitoring protocols providing maps of breeding sites, suitability maps for both breeding and foraging needs.
No data available.
No data available.