CHOICE – Cultural Heritage: Opportunity for Improving Civic Engagement
1.07.2015 – 30/06/2017
The project at a glance:
CHOICE aims at enhancing civil society’s role and to build its capacities to develop a heritage-friendly living environment in Belarus, Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine.
Civil society organisations active in the field of local development, protection and rehabilitation of culture heritage and landscape in the four countries will be identified by the local partners at the grassroot level and actively involved in subsequent public initatives. The identification process will allow for exchanges with local communities about how to engage in the policy dialogue with the central government on the subject matter, given that the successful implementation of the international cultural conventions requires a conscious and engaged citizenry.
The principal outcome of the project will be to develop policy recommendations for the Eastern Partnership governments on preservation of cultural heritage, including country-specific expertise to be dissimanted in the form of informational materials elaborated throghout the project.
The principal objectives of CHOICE will be:
- Increased capacity of CSOs in Belarus, Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine to participate in the policy dialouge at the local, national, and international levels
- Increased capacity to contribute to shaping of national policies on cultural heritage
In particular it envisages to achieve the following:
- Develop skills and expertise to perform watchdog functions and to participate in cultural policy decision-making processes
- Develop the professional network of national heritage experts and professionals
- Foster the culture of cooperation among the Eastern Partnership countries
- Raise awareness among the wider public about the value and importance of work of CSOs active in the field of cultural heritage
Activity 1: Call for CSOs Partcipants
- To promote partcipation in the project among the interested audience and the wider public by publishing the calls in local and national media
- To encourage the first exchanges on cultural policy as an a means to improve civic engagement
- To strenghten the ownership of the project in the partner and selected CSO community
Activity 2: Organisational Capacity Assessment and Plan Development
- To identify CSOs interested in becoming agents of socio-cultural change through acquiring new competences to engage citizens on culture heritage issues
- To elaborate organisational change plans for selected CSOs
Activity 3: Training and Coaching
- To build capacities of the CSOs by providing with the relevant methdology and tools
- To assist the CSOs in organisational change and development processes
- To provide the CSOs with the latest knowledged on preservation of cultural heritage
Activity 4: “Learning by doing” – Subgranting Scheme
- To provide the CSOs with real-life opportunities to apply their newly gained knowledge to their environment
- To mobilise and inform communities on preservation of cultural heritage
Activity 5: Professional exchanges and networking
- To encourage transborder exchanges of best practices and lessons learnt among the participating CSOs and their communities
- To organise public debates and to stimulate the dialogue with the wider public
- To support an ad hoc analysis and evaluation of government programmes and international obligations as well country-based public events such as public deabtes or hearings
Activity 5: Regional CSO Forum on Cultural Heritage as a means of Local Development
- To promote and disseminate the outcomes of the project
- To bring together the cultural heritage professionals from across the Eastern Partnership countries and encourage further exchanges and cooperation
- To discuss and approve the policy recommendations
Discover more about the project and its two-year actions in Armenia, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine visiting the official website www.choiceproject.eu
- Association of Local Democracy Agencies – ALDA, France
- International Non-Government Organisation “EuroBelarus”, Lithuania
EuroBelarus is an association of Belarusian CSO representatives registered in Lithuania, aimed at development, formation and promotion of the position of civil society as an equal, competent and representative subject in Belarusian society and Belarusian-European cooperation.
- Centre for Cultural Management, Ukraine
The Centre initiates, engages in and supports activities that catalyze positive cultural change in Ukraine on the individual, organizational and societal levels and in the public, private and civic sectors.
- National Committee ICOM Moldova
ICOM Moldova is the non-governmental organization of museums and museum professionals which is committed to the conservation, continuation and communication to society of the world's natural and cultural heritage, present and future, tangible and intangible. ICOM Moldova goal is to participate in development of national policy for heritage, promotion of the regional co-operation and exchange of experience within the Eastern Partnership region and between the EU countries in museum sector.
- Millennium Foundation for Education and Research, Armenia
Millennium foundation is a coalition of people who have extensive work experience in a variety of NGOs, who came together to promote common ideals. The mission of Millennium Foundation is to support the process of democratization and to help building a strong civil society in Armenia through educational and cultural programs.
- Public Association “Centre for Social Innovations”, Belarus
The Centre implements innovative ideas in the field of civic and adult education, social and employment policy, culture and civic activism. CSI produces web-TV projects and short movies on social issues, published books and makes researches on culture issues.
> [19/05/2017] Project CHOICE: an international event is coming soon in Brussels
> [18/05/2017] Discussing Cultural Heritage Policy of Armenia, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine
> [06/03/2017] Local Democracy Agency Moldova in Cimișlia officially established
> [28/02/2017] Tourism, food, handcraft – Let’s discover Armenia communities through project CHOICE
No data available.