Strengthening the capacity of national and local NGOs on fighting violence against women
ALDA recently took over the coordination of the project Bridges of Expertise to Fight Gender Based Violence and now is working close together with the Lead Partner – Kapadokya Kadin Dayanisma Dernegi – Women’s Solidarity Association, for the implementation and successful completion of the project activities, including the preparation for the closing conference, which will be held in Nevsehir, Turkey, from 16th to 18th September, and the presentation of the guide “Bridges of expertise to fight gender based violence – an overview of local practice in Turkey and EU MS”, which will be organised in the Council of Europe, from 20th to 22nd October, during the 29th Session of the CoE Congress of Local and Regional Authorities.
The entire project is addressing the issue of fighting gender based violence and the presentation of local practices in Turkey and EU partner countries in prevention and protection of women victims of domestic violence. It is at the same time an opportunity to support, announce and plan activities for the 2016 European Year of fighting violence against women.
The activities held from 21st to 28th June gathered some 40 participants from Turkey and EU partner countries 28, and encompassed the organisation of three-day workshops, the presentation of the key findings of the survey conducted in local communities in Turkey, and presentation of local practices and policy measures by public education institutions, local authorities and CSOs from Turkey and EU partner countries in the project.
Further to this, a study visit for the EU project partners was organised in the Municipalities of Zonguldak and Karadeniz Eregli. There, the participants could meet with the mayors, local government officials responsible for family and social care, cultural associations, and CSOs providing legal aid to the victims of domestic violence. Specific attention was given to the follow-up potential communication and co-operation linking local expertise, best practice, institutional provision of help and counselling services.
The Turkish partners of the project include:
-NGO “Cappadocia Woman Solidarity Association” (as applicant),
- the University of Nevşehir (Women Research Center),
- the Municipalities of Nevşehir and Kirşehir from Cappadocia Region
- the Municipalities of Karadeniz Ereğli and Zonguldak from the Black Sea Region and
- Ahiler Development Agency engaged in five Turkish Provinces: Nevşehir, Kirşehir, Aksaray, Kırıkkale, Niğde.
EU partners are:
- ALDA - the European Association for Local Democracy (France)
- Provincial Administration of Gorizia (Italy),
- the Municipalities of Monfalcone and Sacile (Italy),
- the “Centre for Social Assistance” of Municipality of Koper (Slovenia),
- the University of Koper (Slovenia)
- the NGO “Association for Developing Voluntary Work” of Novo Mesto (Slovenia)