Citizens first – European Citizenship and participatory democracy for people with disabilities
On the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the European citizenship, the Italian Disability Forum organised a conference to raise awareness on the rights coming from the European Citizenship to Italian citizens affected by disabilities.
The conference will take place on 3 October, from 14:45 to 18:00, at the ‘Spazio Europa’ of the Rappresentanza della Commissione Europea, in Via IV Novembre 149, Roma.
The Forum actively actively participated to the activities of the Italian Alliance for the European Year of Citizens 2013, therefore the President of the Alliance Virginio Dastoli as well as ALDA’s Director Antonella Valmorbida will participate as speakers to the event.
ALDA Director, Mrs Antonella Valmorbida is a guest of this event, contributing to the European year of Citizens Alliance and to the fine initiative of the Italian Forum of the Disabled.
The main topics of discussion of the conference will be:
- The main Italian legislations allowing social and professional integration of disabled people, referring to the conditions for citizens of other EU countries that intend to benefit from.
- Comparisons of legislation within EU countries on accessibility, education, work, social benefits and life standard, and culture sectors.
- Aspects of European legislation in EU countries (in the framework of the principles of the US Convention on disabled people) in favor of disabled people do not apply fully in Italian legislation and practices.
- Active Citizenship of the disabled. Examples of good practices.
- Main instruments acquired from EU to fulfill concretely the principle of citizen’s participatory democracy.
The outcome of the conference will be a set of recommendations which will be addressed to national authorities, politicians and administrators.