Lifespan - January 2020 / June 2021
Duration 18 months
Kyrgyzstan stands out as the most liberal country in Central Asia with recognised media freedoms, including on the Internet, and a vibrant civil society. Yet it went through revolutions in 2005 and 2010 that led to changes in the country’s leadership and ethnic violence in the south, culminating in a constitutional referendum in 2010 that reduced presidential powers and established a parliamentary system.
The proposed action has been designed to provide conflict prevention and mitigation tools ahead of the 2020 elections to avoid the repetition of past crises.
Objectives of the project
The project aims to strengthen the capacity and responsibility of media actors to operate as drivers of democracy and to prevent potential conflicts during the 2020 parliamentary elections. In order to achieve the aim, the objectives of the project are:
- improving the policy and legal environment affecting the media sector, consistent with international freedom of expression standards;
- assisting media actors in playing a stabilisation role as reliable relays of information and democratic watchdogs during the 2020 electoral cycle
Target groups and final beneficiaries
- (Line) Ministries and statutory media regulators
- Central Electoral Commission (CEC) and its territorial branches (TECs)
- Members of Parliament (MPs), parliamentary officials, political parties and electoral candidates
- Media actors, both public and private (editors, journalists, media owners/managers, bloggers, content producers, entrepreneurs)
- Advocacy CSOs, democracy activists and human rights defenders
- Media education providers (university faculties of journalism and communication, continuous media training by NGOs and cooperation projects)
- Kyrgyz citizens (media audience).
- European Partnership for Democracy (EPD) – Lead Partner
- Media Policy Institute (MPI)
- ARTICLE 19 (A19)
Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD)
> [05/08/2020] New grants call in view of the parliamentary elections in Kyrgyzstan
> [06/07/2020] Another important step for Media Dialogue: official grant agreements for media actors as drivers of democracy
> [16/06/2020] Grants and sub-grants awarded in Moldova and Kyrgyzstan to strengthen local communities
> [28/04/2020] A grant programme to support media organizations in Kyrgyzstan
No data available.