For a sustainable and shared mobility in Kairouan
October 2016-October 2017
The project at a glance:
The one-year project "For a sustainable and shared mobility in Kairouan", launched in October 2016 in Kairouan, proposes the setting up and sharing of technical and methodological tools allowing to develop a global and coherent vision of mobility in the city. The citizens of Kairouan are key in the successful development and implementation of the project, which counts on the involvement and participation of the city's population.
The project is a response to Kairouan's major traffic congestion problems, which have repercussions in terms of road safety, pollution and economic activity, in a city considered by the UNESCO as a World Heritage site.
The principal outcome of the project will be the improvement of urban mobility and the quality of life of the citizens of Kairouan.
The global objective of the project is:
- To propose a multimodal strategy related to urban mobility and implemented taking into account other aspects or urban life such as urban planning, economy and the improvement of the living conditions.
In particular it envisages to achieve the following:
- Contribution to the development of the City of Kairouan through a global, transversal and coherent mobility policy.
- Promotion of the tools and methods of citizen participation within the framework of the local approach to mobility management in Kairouan.
- Participation of the population of Kairouan, especially young people, during the elaboration and implementation phase of the project through consultation.
Activity 1: Elaboration of a multimodal diagnosis Objectives:
- Regular exchanges between communities to determine available and / or collectable data, as well as methods to enable this collection, which will allow to establish the multimodal diagnosis.
- Organization of workshops in Kairouan bringing together all the actors involved in the implementation of the actions (town hall, governorate, decentralized services of the State, transport companies, civil society).
Activity 2: A shared project for everyone
- Creation of mechanisms / actions to inform, bring residents or certain groups together through information meetings and "citizen councils" in the form of participatory workshops, open to all Kairouan citizens interested in attending.
- Obtaining feedback from the citizens and propositions to be included in the urban mobility plan.
Activity 3: Definition of challenges and objectives
- On the basis of the multimodal diagnosis established in Action 1, the challenges and objectives will be ranked into short, medium and long term.
- Methodological support to consolidate the challenges and objectives that the City of Kairouan faces
- Presentation of the conclusions and recommendations developed by the citizens during the "citizen councils"
Activity 4: Building an action plan
- Elaboration of framework documents based on the challenges and objectives defined in the previous activity
- Consolidation of the dialogue stablished with the Tunisian and French partners
- Draft of an Urban Mobility Plan shared by all the stakeholders of the project.
- City of Strasbourg, France
- Municipality of Kairouan, Tunisia
- European Association for Local Democracy-ALDA, France
- Cooperation for Urban Mobility in the Developing World- CODATU , France