Organised by the European Economic and Social Committee, the Transatlantic Relations Follow-up Committee took place on March 16th, 2022, in hybrid format.
After a discussion on the “state of play and perspectives of transatlantic trade policy”, the meeting focused on the Year of Action – the initiative called by the US President, Mr. Biden in December 2021 during the first of two Summit for Democracy.
As described by official sources, “Throughout the Year of Action, the U.S. Government will therefore encourage structured dialogue and action among governments and other stakeholders to advance commitments and initiatives announced by world leaders, and to report back on their progress at the second Summit”.(https://www.state.gov/summit-for-democracy-year-of-action-factsheet/)
Thus, the panel dedicated to the mentioned Year of Action, saw the contribution of several key stakeholder, including:
- Katalin CSEH, Member of the European Parliament
- Annika SILVA-LEANDER, Head of North America Outreach and Analysis at International IDEA
- Jacob KURTZER, Director and Senior Fellow, Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Representative from the State Department and
- Antonella Valmorbida, representing both the European Partnership for Democracy as President and ALDA as Secretary General
EPD and ALDA are proud of having contributed to the Transatlantic Relations Follow-up Committee, and more specifically to the Year of Actions, recognising it as a crucial process able to bring to the establishment of a strong international democratic alliance, in a time in which the raise of autocracies is particularly worrying the whole World.