On 19th November 2021, the Young European France organised the national day entitled “ European Cities Label”. Launched in 2020 for French municipalities by the Young European France (JEF), this initiative is supported by the France European Mouvement (MEF) and Union of European Federalists in France (UEF).
From a general perspective, the European Cities Label is a specific label for cities, aimed at giving them access to a wide network of towns, supporting in implementing European action in their territory; while highlighting their commitment to Europe and the European Union.
Moreover, participants presented their actions in favour of European citizenship, exchange on their good practices and reflect on the next steps of the Label created in 2020.
Within this context, ALDA Secretary General Antonella Valmorbida was invited to give a speech on democracy and citizens’ participation; while presenting ALDA’s commitment as far as involving different actors on playing a role in the CoFoE platform.
Ms Valmorbida’s speech at the European Cities Label focused on ALDA’s work with Local Authorities and reaffirmed ALDA’s commitment in sharing European values.
Together with Mrs. Valmorbida, ,ALDA Resource and Network Development Manager – Morgane Egerton – also attended the event, which saw, among keynote speaker:
- Arnaud Michel, Councillor in charge of European Affairs and Memory of the city of Arras;
- Nadia Haï, Minister Delegate to the Minister of Territorial Cohesion and Relations;
- Dimitri Oudin, Municipality of Reims;
- Anne Tallineau, Secretary General of the Franco-German Youth Office for Youth (OFAJ);
- Adrien Naizet, Municipal Councillor Delegate for Youth, Student Life, Higher student life, higher education, student social housing in the city of Rouen;
- Christophe Rouillon, Vice-President of the Association of French Mayors of France (AMF)
Beside, on this occasion the plaque “Label Ville européenne” was presented to the City of Paris.
Overall the event was a success and a reminder of how important ALDA’s work is to uphold and share European values across all platforms and with as many entities as possible.