(EU funding programmes 2021-2027)
Pre-accession Assistance supports EU candidate countries and potential candidates (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Turkey) in transforming their societies, legal systems and economies, on the path to EU membership.
It is an investment in the future of the EU, making Europe safer and more prosperous by supporting the stability and prosperity of our closest neighbours. It also helps the EU reach its own objectives, such as peace and stability, sustainable economic growth or combatting climate change.
It facilitates political, institutional, social and economic reforms, fosters sustainable socio-economic development and brings societies closer to the European Union’s values and standards. The key areas of support are:
- the rule of law, fundamental rights and democracy
- good governance, alignment with the EU legislation, good neighbourly relations and strategic communication
- green agenda and sustainable connectivity
- competitiveness and inclusive growth
- territorial and cross border cooperation
Pre-accession assistance funds various types of projects, for example grant schemes, infrastructure investments or technical assistance. The ultimate beneficiaries are people in the EU candidate countries and potential candidates, represented amongst others by:
- civil society and media organisations
- small and medium enterprises
- vulnerable groups
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence
(Source: https://ec.europa.eu )