AT A GLANCE
The project runs from December 2012 to December 2014, and it aims to promoting good practices in the cooperation between local authorities and civil society organisations, as well as fostering their active involvement in the process of EU integration of Montenegro.
Improving the capacity for efficient and transparent functioning of the local self-government, involvement of civil society in decision-making , building local partnerships in the development and implementation of the development priorities of the municipality – are areas of particular importance for the achievement of the objectives of this two-year project. The conference aims to encourage the exchange of experience and presentation of good practices in cross-sectorial co-operation, promote dialogue and partnership, thus contributing to the promotion of European standards of democratic governance at local level.
This programme is designed for non-governmental organizations operating in the six municipalities involved in the activities of Kotor, Niksic, Bijelo Polje, Rozaje, Danilovgrad and Ulcinj to help strengthen the local organisational capacity for development and implementation of EU projects.
Its main objectives include:
- Help strengthening the capacity of community based organisations for service provision to citizens;
- Help improving capacity of CSO-s for participation in policy/decision making and raise awareness of CSO initiated actions;
- Developping capacity of CSO-s for cross-sectoral partnership building and reinforce the role of CSO-s as a relevant stakeholder in public administration reform and EU approximation process;
- Contributing to strengthening and sustaining of the role of CSO-s in community development through training and networking for policy reforms.
Local coalitions for community development – Information campaign and networking activities
EU standards of good governance at local level – series training seminars for NGO-s and local authorities
Citizen participation in policy and decision making at local level – series of local public debates in six municipalities
Building local capacities for EU project development and implementation – series of trainings for local NGO-s
Local coalitions for community development – Sub-granting programme for local NGO-s
Sub-granting Programme for local registered NGO-s active in local democracy development, human/minority rights protection, social service provision, gender equality, youth empowerment, local sustainable development and environment protection.
Locations of the activities: Montenegro – in Niksic, Bijelo Polje, Kotor, Ulcinj, Rozaje, Danilovgrad.
Eight NGOs were selected by the committee as subgrantees.
The contracting procedure is now in progress with the following selected NGOs active in different areas whose common denominator is contributing to participation of citizens in policy/decision making and to more effective implementation of municipal development strategies:
- NGO Runolist, Rozaje – Project title: Promotion of sustainable tourism through involvement of youth in the Municipality of Rozaje
- Association of young volunteers, Bijelo Polje – Project title: The establishment of a Volunteer Center and strengthening volunteer movement in the Municipality Bijelo Polje
- NGO K-Club, Bijelo Polje – Project title: Culture of living – my building is my home
- NGO Democratic center of Bijelo Polje – Project title: Active civil participation in decision making at local level
- Association of young ecologists of Niksic – Project title:Increasing the level of protection of the river Bistrica
- Association of paraplegics Niksic – Project title: Ask us – it’s about us
- NGO Children of Montenegro, Podgorica – Project title: Building partnerships to support new social service provision in Ulcinj
- NGO – SOS telephone for women and children victims of violence, Ulcinj – Project title: Improving social protection and safety of victims of domestic violence.